Homestead Tax Exemptions for Disabled Veterans

As a veteran who served the country, there are certain benefits that you may be eligible in the event that you become disabled. There are numerous benefits that can provide great relief but one that you may not have thought of is in regards to your taxes. As outlined by the Georgia Department of Veterans Services, there are certain tax exemptions that are available. Some disabled Veterans can seek the homestead tax exemption. This is reserved to those who were discharged under honorable conditions from the armed forces. If a disabled veteran meets all necessary requirements then there are a number of types of homestead tax exemptions for those who own their home and use it as their primary place to live. A surviving spouse or minor child can also take advantage of the exemptions in the event that they live in the homestead or in another one that is still in the same county.

The tax exemptions for disabled Veterans include the following:

  • 100% Service-Connected Disability
  • Blindness and/or Loss of Use of Lower Extremities
  • Loss of Use of Lower Extremity & Upper Extremity
  • Georgia Constitutional Clause
  • Housing under Section 2101, Title 38

More on the specifics of these exemptions can be found by visiting the site of theĀ Georgia Department of Veterans Service.

The amount that the exemptions include varies each year and is based on either the highest amount that is allowed under section 2102 of Title 38 of the United States Code or based on the greater of $32,500. Since April 3, 2012 the exemption is at $63,780 due to the allowable amount being $60,000 (under federal law) and the added index factor. If you were unaware of the amount allowed through the exemption you can file for a tax refund but this should be done within three years from the date of the payment. It is important that you are aware of all the benefits that are available to you and you can make sure that you are in good hands by getting in contact with an Atlanta Veterans Disability attorney.