Military Sexual Trauma Attorney in Atlanta
Fighting for the Maximum Compensation You Deserve. Free Consultation!
Sexual trauma of any kind can cause unbearable pain and suffering, including when it happens while you are serving your country. These incidents can haunt you for a lifetime and damage your ability to live a normal life. If you think there’s nowhere to turn to for help, we encourage you to think again.
To get the help you need to recover from your horrifying experience(s), our military sexual trauma lawyer can champion your best interests by advocating for treatment and compensation on your behalf. Even if you haven’t suffered a service-related disability rating or don’t qualify for other VA benefits, you may still be entitled to the support you need to best overcome your MST-related trauma and regain your livelihood.
When you call Stevens & Sullivan, LLC at (404) 467-9017 to arrange a free consultation, you will soon learn that we are genuinely concerned for your wellbeing and will do whatever it takes to get the help you need. In life’s toughest moments, our lawyers have got your back.
What Is Military Sexual Trauma (MST)?
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) defines military sexual trauma (MST) as sexual assault or repeated, threatening sexual harassment that occurred while you were in the military, regardless of whether you’re male or female.
Examples of non-consensual sexual activity, according to the VA mental health department, include:
- Being pressured or coerced into sexual activities, such as with threats of negative treatment if you refuse to cooperate or with promises of better treatment in exchange for sex
- Someone having sexual contact with you without your consent, such as when you were asleep or intoxicated
- Being physically forced to have sex
- Being touched in a sexual way that made you uncomfortable
- Repeated comments about your body or sexual activities
- Threatening and unwanted sexual advances
As a result of these unwelcomed crimes, your mental and physical health could suffer in unimaginable ways. Examples include:
- Disturbing memories or nightmares
- Difficulty feeling safe
- Feelings of depression or numbness
- Drug and/or alcohol abuse
- Feeling of isolation
- Problems with anger, irritability, or other strong emotions
- Sleep problems
- Physical health challenges
WHAT ARE THE PROBLEMS WITH MST CLAIMS?
The Office of Inspector General (OIG) revealed that in 2017 “ .. nearly half of denied MST-related claims were not properly processed following [Veterans Benefits Administration] policy.” These mistakes affected thousands of veterans who suffered MST by prohibiting access to the benefits and treatments they needed.
Our MST lawyer doesn’t trust that these mistakes are over. Thus, we will fight to ensure the VBA processes MST claims correctly like they should have been doing a long time ago. If you filed an MST-related PTSD claim before December 2011, you are encouraged to refile; our team can help you do just that.
The other challenge with MST claims is that you can’t receive compensation for the incident itself but can get disability compensation for issues resulting from your traumatic experience. Thus, our MST lawyer can examine your personal and military documents and evidence that prove you suffered mental, emotional and/or physical issues as a result of your traumatic encounter(s).
WHAT ARE MST SERVICES?
Veterans who qualify for MST-related treatment and counseling can receive services such as:
- Specialized outpatient mental health services focused on sexual trauma at many VA locations
- Counseling with professionals who are specially trained to treat conditions related to sexual trauma at Vet Centers across the country
- MST-related treatment in support at every VA Medical Center and education about treating the aftereffects of MST at each facility
Treatment and support for health conditions related to MST such as:
- posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- substance abuse
It’s Time to Get the Help You Need. Call (404) 467-9017 for a Free Consultation!
Our Atlanta MST attorney has extensive experience helping clients access the help they need. While victims can get free MST-related services without providing evidence, they can’t get disability compensation for MST-related conditions without first filing a claim, which requires evidence. Examples of evidence include:
- Department of Defense sexual assault or harassment reporting forms
- Statements from others
- Requests for transfer to another military duty assignment
- A decrease in work performance
- Substance abuse
- Unexplained behavior (economic or social)
As a result, you need our MST lawyer to help you file a claim for disability compensation. We will take the time to listen carefully to your specific needs and gather the appropriate documents, records and other evidence needed to successfully apply for the benefits you require. Further, we will ensure the Veterans Benefits Administration is following the correct procedure for processing MST-related claims to best ensure you aren’t unfairly denied benefits.